Are you a Christian?if so,did the fact that you are a Christian influence your interest in Twilight in any way,whether negatively or positively?how so?

Twilight allows Christians like myself to explore the subject of vampires without feeling like I've betrayed my faith because, first of all,they don't drink human blood--at least the Cullen family don't(which is really the only inherently evil thing about vampires because, in the bible, the Law of Moses clearly forbids the Jews from drinking human blood.However Jesus' blood is MORE than human,It is divine.) and,unlike vampires in most vampire stories,the Cullens make a real effort to redeem themselves.Vampires are not evil unless the person was evil before he or she was turned-Evil lies in the heart of the individual.The Cullens clearly prove that.vampires in other stories usually either embrace the fact that they are vampires or,if they don't, they don't do anything to make up for it.Even Louis in Interview with a Vampire,as much as he hated what he was, didn't even make any effort to redeem himself.Stephanie Meyer has created the type of vampire you can respect-with dignity, integrity and, above all,CONVICTION.Carlisle himself said in New Moon "By all accounts,we're damned,regardless.But,I hope,maybe foolishly,we get some measure of credit for trying."He also said "In the 400yrs since I've been born I have never seen anything that has made me doubt whether God exists in one form or another"This proves that Carlisle still has faith in God and that he and the Cullens still have a chance at redemption despite what they are-otherwise,he would just raise his family as other vampires-with no remorse or respect for human life.Also,considering the fact that Stephenie Meyer is Mormon(even though I dont agree with that particular form of Christianity),I think she intended for the vampire and the lust for blood to be a metaphor for the everyday temptations that we as human-beings face.And the Cullens not conforming to the vampire lifestyle of drinking human blood is a metaphor for Christians who don't conform to the rest of the world in order to follow a higher purpose.And,even though I am not a wolfpack fan,If you think about it,they are a metaphor for the gay and lesbian community who feel they didnt have a choice to be who they are(I myself believe eveyone has a choice,but then again,who am I to judge?.I firmly believe in "let he that has no sin cast the first stone"-I am certainly not without sin so I am not one to throw stones)You can see alot of Christian undertones in the Twilight story-including the Cullens belief in the exsistance and value of the soul.Thats why I am a twilight fan

Tags: Christian

Views: 220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thank you for your reply adrielle.I agree.Although its fiction,It has alot of valuable messages.

Adrielle said:
Makes me feel better about twilight.
Stephanie Meyer,cue overt their religious precepts,through his characters.
Carlile believes we have soul and we can go to heaven or hell.And it has a cross at home.
Have the issue of sex before marriage, Edward says it is sin and wants to marry first.
Still have the issue of abortion,when Bella gets pregnant.She knows that pregnancy is dangerous,but prefers to carry ahead.
The book is a means to "educate" readers.
I'm a Christian too, but I dont know if the Cullens would be able to go to heaven. Carlisle would probably, because he has faith in God, but the other Cullens dont seem to have his faith, and you cant get into Heaven for just being a good person. I actually think the Twilight Saga should have been different, because it decieves many people, considering Stephenie Meyer is Mormon. I wish she wouldve made Bella a Christian, and at least go to church every one in awhile. I know that wasnt the main focus of the story, but I feel like she shouldve done that, lol. Reguardless the books send good messages, and I love them :)

P.S. I'm glad Edward & Bella waited til they were married to lose their virginity. That was a great message for people.
Thank you for your response:-) very interesting and I do see where your coming from.I do think Steph Meyer could have incorporated more of her Mormon faith into the Twilight plot,but I also think she incorporated some of her ideas and values into it.Like you said--Bella and Edward waited till marriage till they had sex.I don't believe you get into heaven just by being a good person either,and I don't think Carlisle did either since he himself was brought up in the church,im sure he knew the only way was through Jesus Christ.But, his statement showed his beliefs and convictions and that he and the Cullens' try their best with what they were dealt in life.And I do believe they would get some measure of credit for trying because none of them had a choice in being a vampire.It was forced upon them.If only the rest of them shared the same beliefs as Carlisle.Unfortunately,as Carlisle said,Edward has his doubts.
IEnjoyBitingPillowsxx said:
I'm a Christian too, but I dont know if the Cullens would be able to go to heaven. Carlisle would probably, because he has faith in God, but the other Cullens dont seem to have his faith, and you cant get into Heaven for just being a good person. I actually think the Twilight Saga should have been different, because it decieves many people, considering Stephenie Meyer is Mormon. I wish she wouldve made Bella a Christian, and at least go to church every one in awhile. I know that wasnt the main focus of the story, but I feel like she shouldve done that, lol. Reguardless the books send good messages, and I love them :)

P.S. I'm glad Edward & Bella waited til they were married to lose their virginity. That was a great message for people.
no it didnt influence me cuz i dont belive in vamps/werewolvs! seriously! who wuld?
nessie,i didnt ask if u believed in them lol neither do i.you misunderstood the question

nessie *muff* team alec <333 said:
no it didnt influence me cuz i dont belive in vamps/werewolvs! seriously! who wuld?
Which was my point to start with. I am glad you've come around. And now see that even fiction stems from God. Now about those scriptures. I am currently reading James, what are all of you reading?

TwilightGodfatherTrinity said:
thank you for your reply adrielle.I agree.Although its fiction,It has alot of valuable messages.

Adrielle said:
Makes me feel better about twilight.
Stephanie Meyer,cue overt their religious precepts,through his characters.
Carlile believes we have soul and we can go to heaven or hell.And it has a cross at home.
Have the issue of sex before marriage, Edward says it is sin and wants to marry first.
Still have the issue of abortion,when Bella gets pregnant.She knows that pregnancy is dangerous,but prefers to carry ahead.
The book is a means to "educate" readers.
Twilight, I mean I am glad you have come around and now see the point I initially made. One which was and is based upon and securely within the Scripture itself. That being that in the scripture, it does state several times that we are to drink the blood of Christ. From Christ himself in Matthew, to God himself in Revelation many places in what we call the "new testament" state's this. In what we call the "Old testament" the Israelites were infact commanded to bath in the blood of the sacrficed animal as they were told to "sprinkle the blood upon themselves". As well as to adorn it's blood upon their houses.

When it comes to Blood, our God is well lets just say as much a fan as I am of the stuff. What I understood you to be resisting however was the notion, that since all things stem from God the Father, there is no such thing as "unsuitable" for the Christian. So of course I am glad to see you finally understand what I was saying, and see the point of the scriptures I was making.
The only time I have ever even discussed Twilight on a faith-level, is usually with those who feel that reading any books in the "fantasy" genre (such as Harry Potter) is not a good thing. They kind of hold themselves above it, though they don't really know what the story is, sadly.

Personally, I feel that my faith has nothing really to do with Twilight since it is really just a source of entertainment. Just like sewing, or sports, or anything that people do for entertainment. You have to remember that this is not real (though sometimes, of course, we all wish Edward or Jacob were in the non-fiction section), and that these stories in particular - especially compared to all the darker stuff out there (Sookie, anyone?) - are actually not focused on how great being a vampire is or anything like that. It's a love story that has great circumstances of immeasurable size. That's the point. Stephenie herself even says that there's no purposely underlying tones, whether for or against religion/God.

One of the things though that I do love about this series the most, and hope current and younger generations will value, is the way relationships are portrayed in the novels. How love is about self-sacrifice and not getting into someone's pants. I feel that there are good God-like morals, like that, that do come across, and it would be nice to see some less selfishness in the world, especially since our society is headed down the whole "as-long-as-I-don't-bother-you-I-can-do-whatever-I want" trail, which is really sad. But, overall, I feel that this saga is charming, sweet, funny, and gives girls hope everywhere that chivalry is not dead. Does that mean that this says vampires are real? No. Does that mean I worship these books? No. (Though, my obsession is a bit unhealthy... hahaha..)

As followers of Christ, we need to remember to be influenced by Godly things and to open ourselves up to what's going on in the world, not stick up our noses without understanding. We're IN the world, but NOT OF it. As long as I remember that, and keep away from the TRULY evil things, that's all that matters. Just my opinion. :)
well,all im going to say to that is that it only talks about Christs' blood.For he was the divine son of God.It says nothing about drinking the blood of other men in the "New Testament".As far as the old testament,where the Isrealites were commanded to bath in the blood of sacrificed animals,that is why its called the "old testament".Only the Jews practice the old laws.God sent His son as a "new covenant" so that we wouldn't have to do that anymore.Jesus was the ULTIMATE sacifice.If we keep practicing the old laws,we are saying Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was not enough,that His sacrifice was in vain.He IS and always will be the ONLY way to eternal life.No blood of any human being will ever equal to or be greater than His and to say otherwise is an abomination in the Lords' sight.But D, as you said,who am I to judge,I was not there when Jesus Died or created the heavens(then again,I don't believe you were either)but all that aside--you are entitled to believe what you believe,so let us just leave it as that.I think we are both tired of the debate and it doesn't solve anything.So may we still be friends?

Daidalos Falvius said:
Twilight, I mean I am glad you have come around and now see the point I initially made. One which was and is based upon and securely within the Scripture itself. That being that in the scripture, it does state several times that we are to drink the blood of Christ. From Christ himself in Matthew, to God himself in Revelation many places in what we call the "new testament" state's this. In what we call the "Old testament" the Israelites were infact commanded to bath in the blood of the sacrficed animal as they were told to "sprinkle the blood upon themselves". As well as to adorn it's blood upon their houses.

When it comes to Blood, our God is well lets just say as much a fan as I am of the stuff. What I understood you to be resisting however was the notion, that since all things stem from God the Father, there is no such thing as "unsuitable" for the Christian. So of course I am glad to see you finally understand what I was saying, and see the point of the scriptures I was making.
Thank you Amy.And I agree,it is just fiction.I just think that we,as Christians need to be cautious of what we expose ourselves to\.Even fiction(you said yourself that your interest in Twilight may be a big unhealthy,and some people really do take it to an unhealthy level).Because even fiction can open doors and allow the wrong spirits in.Which is what I think is so dangerous about harry potter,for example.Sure,us as adults understand that its not real.But it teaches the younger generation that witchcraft is cool,its harmless.When we,as adults,know that witchcraft is very real and if you become interested in it as a child,your fascination will grow so much as to wanting to dabble in REAL witchcraft.That's what I mean when I say even fiction can be dangerous,spiritually damaging.Twilight,I think,is safe though because,like I said,it sets morals,quidelines and respect for human life (and for God)that no other vampire story has ever bothered to have.

Andrew'sAmy said:
The only time I have ever even discussed Twilight on a faith-level, is usually with those who feel that reading any books in the "fantasy" genre (such as Harry Potter) is not a good thing. They kind of hold themselves above it, though they don't really know what the story is, sadly.
Personally, I feel that my faith has nothing really to do with Twilight since it is really just a source of entertainment. Just like sewing, or sports, or anything that people do for entertainment. You have to remember that this is not real (though sometimes, of course, we all wish Edward or Jacob were in the non-fiction section), and that these stories in particular - especially compared to all the darker stuff out there (Sookie, anyone?) - are actually not focused on how great being a vampire is or anything like that. It's a love story that has great circumstances of immeasurable size. That's the point. Stephenie herself even says that there's no purposely underlying tones, whether for or against religion/God. One of the things though that I do love about this series the most, and hope current and younger generations will value, is the way relationships are portrayed in the novels. How love is about self-sacrifice and not getting into someone's pants. I feel that there are good God-like morals, like that, that do come across, and it would be nice to see some less selfishness in the world, especially since our society is headed down the whole "as-long-as-I-don't-bother-you-I-can-do-whatever-I want" trail, which is really sad. But, overall, I feel that this saga is charming, sweet, funny, and gives girls hope everywhere that chivalry is not dead. Does that mean that this says vampires are real? No. Does that mean I worship these books? No. (Though, my obsession is a bit unhealthy... hahaha..)

As followers of Christ, we need to remember to be influenced by Godly things and to open ourselves up to what's going on in the world, not stick up our noses without understanding. We're IN the world, but NOT OF it. As long as I remember that, and keep away from the TRULY evil things, that's all that matters. Just my opinion. :)
NO NOT AT ALL....IT DID NOT AFFECT ME AT ALL.!BUT WHY ?SHOULD IT HAVE AFFECTED ME?I ALWAYS BELIEVED IN THE SUPERFICIAL IN ANY STATE OF IT NO MATTER WHAT RELIGION I BELIEVE IN _LIKE HARRY POTTER I ALWAYS BELIEVED IN MAGIC .AND I LIVE IN GREECE THAT RELIGION AND CHRISTIANISM HAVE A VERY STRONG CHARAKTER AND AFFEKTION IN OUR LIFE.BUT WHEN I AM AFRAID I THINK ''HELP ME PLEASE GOD'' BUT AS WE NOW THE OTHER SIDE-THE ''DARK SIDE'' EXISTES OUT THERE AND IT WILL ONLY DISSAPEAR WHEN GOD COMES TO EARTH AGAIN_I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SAY IT IN ENGLISH EXACTHLY BECAUSE I AM NOT A NATIVE SPEAKER-HOPE U UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY!
Hi Maria.Don't misunderstand the question.I asked if the fact that you were a Christian "influenced" your interest in Twilight,not if it effected you.That's 2 very different things.Being a Christian can either influence you NOT to like Twilight,or,in my case,there were many aspects of Twilight that intrigued me BECAUSE I am a Christian.For example,like I said, Carlisle's respect for Human life that he passed down to his family as well as his faith in God.On the other hand,since Twilight is a story about vampires,which most Christians look at as anti-Christian,it may influence them to stay away from Twilight.Because although,as we all know,vampires are fictional characters,even fiction can be spiritually damaging.Getting too carried away with this kind of thing(as some people often do) can allow the wrong spirits in.The bible talks about that)But,in the case of Twilight,I think it has made this subject safe to explore because of Carlisle and the way he has brought up his family.Like I said,he still has faith in God and he still believes that he and the Cullens still have a chance at redemption despite what they are-otherwise he would just raise his family as any other vampires-with no remorse or respect for human life.Thank you for your response, God bless
MARIA said:
NO NOT AT ALL....IT DID NOT AFFECT ME AT ALL.!BUT WHY ?SHOULD IT HAVE AFFECTED ME?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Advertising

FANGIRL WITH US HERE

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...