Are you a Christian?if so,did the fact that you are a Christian influence your interest in Twilight in any way,whether negatively or positively?how so?

Twilight allows Christians like myself to explore the subject of vampires without feeling like I've betrayed my faith because, first of all,they don't drink human blood--at least the Cullen family don't(which is really the only inherently evil thing about vampires because, in the bible, the Law of Moses clearly forbids the Jews from drinking human blood.However Jesus' blood is MORE than human,It is divine.) and,unlike vampires in most vampire stories,the Cullens make a real effort to redeem themselves.Vampires are not evil unless the person was evil before he or she was turned-Evil lies in the heart of the individual.The Cullens clearly prove that.vampires in other stories usually either embrace the fact that they are vampires or,if they don't, they don't do anything to make up for it.Even Louis in Interview with a Vampire,as much as he hated what he was, didn't even make any effort to redeem himself.Stephanie Meyer has created the type of vampire you can respect-with dignity, integrity and, above all,CONVICTION.Carlisle himself said in New Moon "By all accounts,we're damned,regardless.But,I hope,maybe foolishly,we get some measure of credit for trying."He also said "In the 400yrs since I've been born I have never seen anything that has made me doubt whether God exists in one form or another"This proves that Carlisle still has faith in God and that he and the Cullens still have a chance at redemption despite what they are-otherwise,he would just raise his family as other vampires-with no remorse or respect for human life.Also,considering the fact that Stephenie Meyer is Mormon(even though I dont agree with that particular form of Christianity),I think she intended for the vampire and the lust for blood to be a metaphor for the everyday temptations that we as human-beings face.And the Cullens not conforming to the vampire lifestyle of drinking human blood is a metaphor for Christians who don't conform to the rest of the world in order to follow a higher purpose.And,even though I am not a wolfpack fan,If you think about it,they are a metaphor for the gay and lesbian community who feel they didnt have a choice to be who they are(I myself believe eveyone has a choice,but then again,who am I to judge?.I firmly believe in "let he that has no sin cast the first stone"-I am certainly not without sin so I am not one to throw stones)You can see alot of Christian undertones in the Twilight story-including the Cullens belief in the exsistance and value of the soul.Thats why I am a twilight fan

Tags: Christian

Views: 216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

TwilightTrinity said:
No there is no proof and no I don't believe in the Lilith stroy.Nor do I literally believe in the existance of Vampires.But,D,as I have said several times before,you are entitled to your own beliefs.As you pointed out,who am I to judge?Call me ignorant if you like.But I have never seen or heard anything about vampires that have made me believe they are anymore than fictional charactors.I don't want that to get in the way of our being friends,though.And,I don't want to push this issue.

Twilight, I have not, nor would I ever presume to call you ignorant. After all why would I call a friend that? But Vampires do exist. There are those who do drink blood. It has been documented throughout history. To my knowledge this breaks no commandment either. Infact God himself demanded blood as atonement for sin. The Christian God is a bloody God in reality. But alas he is God who are we to judge him. He can do what he wishes, our place is simply to obey. This of all the lessons Christ taught us, was the paramount lesson he taught us, for he was obedient even unto death. ;)
I mean't as far as being immortal and all that.I do know there are those who drink blood.

Daidalos Falvius said:
TwilightTrinity said:
No there is no proof and no I don't believe in the Lilith stroy.Nor do I literally believe in the existance of Vampires.But,D,as I have said several times before,you are entitled to your own beliefs.As you pointed out,who am I to judge?Call me ignorant if you like.But I have never seen or heard anything about vampires that have made me believe they are anymore than fictional charactors.I don't want that to get in the way of our being friends,though.And,I don't want to push this issue.

Twilight, I have not, nor would I ever presume to call you ignorant. But Vampires do exist. There are those who do drink blood. It has been documented throughout history.
Ok D,fair enough.Again I won't argue one way or the other.We are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions and I respect yours.I'm willing to leave it at that.I also respect your firm stand by your beliefs,I think thats what I respect about you above all.Our beliefs just differ in some ways.
Daidalos Falvius said:
TwilightTrinity said:

Twilight, I have not, nor would I ever presume to call you ignorant. After all why would I call a friend that? But Vampires do exist. There are those who do drink blood. It has been documented throughout history. To my knowledge this breaks no commandment either. Infact God himself demanded blood as atonement for sin. The Christian God is a bloody God in reality. But alas he is God who are we to judge him. He can do what he wishes, our place is simply to obey. This of all the lessons Christ taught us, was the paramount lesson he taught us, for he was obedient even unto death. ;)
I would really like more feedback on this
I have been a christion my entire life. I was brought up in a christion school where we were disscurraged from "worldly" things such as dancing,playing cards or dice games, even not being allowed to put on pants as a girl, and going to movies. I was very fearfull of these things as a child. As I grew up and whent to a public high school, I started to question the reason for that fear. In high school I knew a boy who truly beleived himself to be a vampire. I was scared to death of him, and he tried to use that fear. That was over twenty years ago. I have stopped going to church, but I am still a christion for I belive you cann't loose your salvation once you have accepted christ into your heart. I never heard of Twilight untill the first movie was about to come out. The person who told me about it didn't say it was about vampires, just a love story of forbidden love. I read the first book and was hooked. I quickly read all four books, and watched the movies. I think the way Stephanie portays vampires allows christions to feel free to enjoy the story, whith out blame or guilt. It has also allowed me to give up on the notion that enjoying this kind of thing will somehow lesson my christianity. I enjoyed the Harry Potter books before Twilight so I was on my way to this conclusion anyway. I do agree that as christions we need to be carefull to what we expose our selves to, that is true of everyone. By exposing our selve to violance we become desencitized to it, and therfor more vounerable to the affects of it. I have since found that boy on FB, and told him of how he made me feel as a girl. He appologized, and said he was just a scared kid who fell in with the wrong crowd. so, to answer your question, I was influanced by my christianity, but allowed my self to enjoy all it has to offer, witch is a lot!!! I don't think that if they were real the cullens would be allowed in heaven by how they live ther after life. For only the decisions we make in life will we be saved.
Thank you Lilly,I completely agree.And I also agree that you dont have to go to a particular church to be a Christian.God is not a place of brick and wood.He is Every where.As the old saying goes "Split a peice of wood and I am there,lift a stone and you will find Me." God is not about a particular religion either.He is about relationship.It doesnt matter what religion you are as long as that religion is centered on one thing "Jesus Christ".With out Jesus Christ,religion is nothing but vain rituals and routines. Thank you for your comment.God bless:-)

Lilly said:
I have been a christion my entire life. I was brought up in a christion school where we were disscurraged from "worldly" things such as dancing,playing cards or dice games, even not being allowed to put on pants as a girl, and going to movies. I was very fearfull of these things as a child. As I grew up and whent to a public high school, I started to question the reason for that fear. In high school I knew a boy who truly beleived himself to be a vampire. I was scared to death of him, and he tried to use that fear. That was over twenty years ago. I have stopped going to church, but I am still a christion for I belive you cann't loose your salvation once you have accepted christ into your heart. I never heard of Twilight untill the first movie was about to come out. The person who told me about it didn't say it was about vampires, just a love story of forbidden love. I read the first book and was hooked. I quickly read all four books, and watched the movies. I think the way Stephanie portays vampires allows christions to feel free to enjoy the story, whith out blame or guilt. It has also allowed me to give up on the notion that enjoying this kind of thing will somehow lesson my christianity. I enjoyed the Harry Potter books before Twilight so I was on my way to this conclusion anyway. I do agree that as christions we need to be carefull to what we expose our selves to, that is true of everyone. By exposing our selve to violance we become desencitized to it, and therfor more vounerable to the affects of it. I have since found that boy on FB, and told him of how he made me feel as a girl. He appologized, and said he was just a scared kid who fell in with the wrong crowd. so, to answer your question, I was influanced by my christianity, but allowed my self to enjoy all it has to offer, witch is a lot!!! I don't think that if they were real the cullens would be allowed in heaven by how they live ther after life. For only the decisions we make in life will we be saved.
dude u like kinda scare me but im also intrigued by you...im a chrisitan and i grew up in the church and my moms a minister. but this thing you have with twilight is kinda weird. stephanie has said over and over again that this was just a story that she wrote...there are no life lessons here to learn..if i took every story and disected each part, it wouldnt be fun...and thats what fiction books are supposed to be fun..hey but to each his own..but seriously dude seriously,, just have fun with the books...
Sheeretha. As Christians, we should all be aware of any messages(whether good or bad) in books,movies or music. The bible tells us that. And,even fiction can be used to minister--Chronicles of Narnia,Lord of the Rings--those were fictional stories that had Christian undertones. Jesus Himself used fiction to minister,they were called "parables". You could say that some fictional books and movies are the parables of today. Nothing to be scared of. But its something we should be aware of, because on the other side of that same coin. Some movies and books send negative messages--Harry Potter,for example. That series teaches kids that witchcraft is cool and harmless and that its only in fairytales.We as Christians know that witchcraft is very real,and if kids are brought up to think its cool, when they are older they will be intrigued to look into REAL witchcraft. THATS what we should be scared of. But, Twilight is different

sheerethia scott said:
dude u like kinda scare me but im also intrigued by you...im a chrisitan and i grew up in the church and my moms a minister. but this thing you have with twilight is kinda weird. stephanie has said over and over again that this was just a story that she wrote...there are no life lessons here to learn..if i took every story and disected each part, it wouldnt be fun...and thats what fiction books are supposed to be fun..hey but to each his own..but seriously dude seriously,, just have fun with the books...
It is very important that, we as Christians, analyze everything we become interested in. Not to just take it at face value. Thtas how satan traps us--He uses things that interest us to trap us.But if we are prepared and look deeper into things like this,he cant trick us. We shouldnt be affraid to do that.I would be more affraid NOT to look at it that way

Shaun AKA TwilightTrinity said:
Sheeretha. As Christians, we should all be aware of any messages(whether good or bad) in books,movies or music. The bible tells us that. And,even fiction can be used to minister--Chronicles of Narnia,Lord of the Rings--those were fictional stories that had Christian undertones. Jesus Himself used fiction to minister,they were called "parables". You could say that some fictional books and movies are the parables of today. Nothing to be scared of. But its something we should be aware of, because on the other side of that same coin. Some movies and books send negative messages--Harry Potter,for example. That series teaches kids that witchcraft is cool and harmless and that its only in fairytales.We as Christians know that witchcraft is very real,and if kids are brought up to think its cool, when they are older they will be intrigued to look into REAL witchcraft. THATS what we should be scared of. But, Twilight is different

sheerethia scott said:
Sereethia,I understand when you say its just fiction and we should just have fun with it.And youre right, in a way.What youre saying is true about things that people just take a LITTLE interest in. But Twilight is something that some people take as more than just something fun to read. They incorporate it into their life. And thats who I'm speaking to here. Would you rather that those people just BLINDLY let Twilight become a part of their lives without asking themselves why? That is dangerous and thats what you should be affraid of. I am taking the smart approach by analyzing the story before I go as far as saying I'm a "Twifan"

sheerethia scott said:
have u seen harry potter..im not a harry potter nut but i have seen the movies and it is nowhere cotton candy with the who wizard thing. there is plenty showing how "withcraft" can turn u into a evil monster and how it can benefit u..but i dont want to go out and try it, why, because i am a sane person and only people with no back bone and half a brain thinks its real

sheerethia scott said:
Seerethia,you are mature enough tounderstand that.But there are those who arent. The youth of today are very easily decieved.I'm not just saying that because its what I believe,but Ive seen it happen. And it cant benefit you at all.In the end,it destroys you. Another example is the exorcist.Everyone knows the movie.But few know the real story behind it. Aboy in the fifties named robby tried to contact his aunt through a quija board and eventually became posessed. That is a prime example of how something we think is harmless can have dangerous consequences if we are not fully aware of them.

sheerethia scott said:
have u seen harry potter..im not a harry potter nut but i have seen the movies and it is nowhere cotton candy with the who wizard thing. there is plenty showing how "withcraft" can turn u into a evil monster and how it can benefit u..but i dont want to go out and try it, why, because i am a sane person and only people with no back bone and half a brain thinks its real

sheerethia scott said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Advertising

FANGIRL WITH US HERE

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...