Are you a Christian?if so,did the fact that you are a Christian influence your interest in Twilight in any way,whether negatively or positively?how so?

Twilight allows Christians like myself to explore the subject of vampires without feeling like I've betrayed my faith because, first of all,they don't drink human blood--at least the Cullen family don't(which is really the only inherently evil thing about vampires because, in the bible, the Law of Moses clearly forbids the Jews from drinking human blood.However Jesus' blood is MORE than human,It is divine.) and,unlike vampires in most vampire stories,the Cullens make a real effort to redeem themselves.Vampires are not evil unless the person was evil before he or she was turned-Evil lies in the heart of the individual.The Cullens clearly prove that.vampires in other stories usually either embrace the fact that they are vampires or,if they don't, they don't do anything to make up for it.Even Louis in Interview with a Vampire,as much as he hated what he was, didn't even make any effort to redeem himself.Stephanie Meyer has created the type of vampire you can respect-with dignity, integrity and, above all,CONVICTION.Carlisle himself said in New Moon "By all accounts,we're damned,regardless.But,I hope,maybe foolishly,we get some measure of credit for trying."He also said "In the 400yrs since I've been born I have never seen anything that has made me doubt whether God exists in one form or another"This proves that Carlisle still has faith in God and that he and the Cullens still have a chance at redemption despite what they are-otherwise,he would just raise his family as other vampires-with no remorse or respect for human life.Also,considering the fact that Stephenie Meyer is Mormon(even though I dont agree with that particular form of Christianity),I think she intended for the vampire and the lust for blood to be a metaphor for the everyday temptations that we as human-beings face.And the Cullens not conforming to the vampire lifestyle of drinking human blood is a metaphor for Christians who don't conform to the rest of the world in order to follow a higher purpose.And,even though I am not a wolfpack fan,If you think about it,they are a metaphor for the gay and lesbian community who feel they didnt have a choice to be who they are(I myself believe eveyone has a choice,but then again,who am I to judge?.I firmly believe in "let he that has no sin cast the first stone"-I am certainly not without sin so I am not one to throw stones)You can see alot of Christian undertones in the Twilight story-including the Cullens belief in the exsistance and value of the soul.Thats why I am a twilight fan

Tags: Christian

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know how to answer this after reading your thoughts on SM being a "Mormon". I too am a member of The Church of Latter-day Saints & DEFINITELY am a Christian! I Believe in Christ, I hope in Christ, I believe in the bible just like you do. One of the reasons I considered reading Twilight was because I was told SM is a member of my faith/church. And I love the fact that Carlisle is they way he is and values human life & tries to redeem himself & does not doubt there is a God.
Thank you Penny.Even though I dont share the same views on Christianity the way you do,I still respect them.Thank you for sharing. God bless:-)

Pennybug Cullen said:
I don't know how to answer this after reading your thoughts on SM being a "Mormon". I too am a member of The Church of Latter-day Saints & DEFINITELY am a Christian! I Believe in Christ, I hope in Christ, I believe in the bible just like you do. One of the reasons I considered reading Twilight was because I was told SM is a member of my faith/church. And I love the fact that Carlisle is they way he is and values human life & tries to redeem himself & does not doubt there is a God.
I'm Catholic, but meh, it didn't factor in one way or the other.
Thats cool Dana. To each his/her own. I think it clearly factors in because of Stepehenie's constant reference to the soul.But,thats just me

Dana said:
I'm Catholic, but meh, it didn't factor in one way or the other.
If you are a Christian and looking for a place for Christian Twilight fans.Feel free to visit and join my website- http://twilighters4christ.ning.com
This blog has been re-opened.If you are a Christian and would like to comment,please do.God bless:-)

Actually, no, Twilight wasn't all that groundbreaking there. In Joss Whedon's TV series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and the spinoff 'Angel', where the vampires are normally portrayed as evil monsters without a conscience, the vampire Angel is "cursed" with a soul, a punishment designed to make him suffer for his past crimes, and he ends up a "dark, flawed, yet altrucistic champion of mankind, seeking to voluntarily atone for his sins". And then there's the vampire Spike, who becomes aware  - to his horror - that he's fallen in love with Buffy and tries to help her and earn her trust, struggling hard to fight his evil nature. Eventually though, he commits a foul deed that hurts her, but horrified by his own actions he goes on a quest to earn his soul back and becomes good, ultimately sacrificing himself to save the world. I remember loving the portrayal of those two vampires when I watched these TV series in my late teens.

TwilightTrinity AKA Jesus Freak said:

until twilights,vampires were always looked at as "evil" even though they didnt want to be--like i said,Louis in interview with a vampire hated that he was a vampire,but he made very little effort to try and go against his vampire nature and to be better--twilight changed that

Hmm,interesting.I guess I never really gave Buffy a chance because the movie kinda screwed up her reputation.I thought that movie was terrible. I think it's a little late to get into Buffy now lol

Thank you Sofia

Anything else to say about the blog?

Sofia said:

Actually, no, Twilight wasn't all that groundbreaking there. In Joss Whedon's TV series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' and the spinoff 'Angel', where the vampires are normally portrayed as evil monsters without a conscience, the vampire Angel is "cursed" with a soul, a punishment designed to make him suffer for his past crimes, and he ends up a "dark, flawed, yet altrucistic champion of mankind, seeking to voluntarily atone for his sins". And then there's the vampire Spike, who becomes aware  - to his horror - that he's fallen in love with Buffy and tries to help her and earn her trust, struggling hard to fight his evil nature. Eventually though, he commits a foul deed that hurts her, but horrified by his own actions he goes on a quest to earn his soul back and becomes good, ultimately sacrificing himself to save the world. I remember loving the portrayal of those two vampires in my teenage days :-)

TwilightTrinity AKA Jesus Freak said:

until twilights,vampires were always looked at as "evil" even though they didnt want to be--like i said,Louis in interview with a vampire hated that he was a vampire,but he made very little effort to try and go against his vampire nature and to be better--twilight changed that

well, I'm a christian, and i think it's true what u say that b4 twilight vampires were represented as "evil" creatures, and now we have gained a new perspective of them, they are not really considered evil anymore. I for one, know that no matter what a novel says, even if it has something that people say can have a negative religious impact, it is still that, a novel. No sane christian would idolize something like a vampire or a werewolf, they know that JESUS is the true EDWARD AND his blood is divine.. it's like the Chronicles of Narnia series, if u look at it's religious perspective, u understand that Aslan represents Jesus in another world, and Narnia is the earth, and Aslan's Country, Heaven....

I completely agree.Thank you for your comment.God bless:-)

same to u:)

TwilightTrinity AKA Shaun said:

I completely agree.Thank you for your comment.God bless:-)

Like I said in an earlier posts.Every story (fiction or otherwise) has a message.Whether it is negative or positive.Jesus himself used fictional stories to teach valuable lessons.They were called "Parables". And,given the fact that Stephenie Meyer chose to put so much emphasis on the human soul and it's value,I think she left it open to be looked at from a spiritual perspective whether she intended it for that or not.And I think it's a very positive thing.

Ronnie Martinez "twihard4ever" said:

well, I'm a christian, and i think it's true what u say that b4 twilight vampires were represented as "evil" creatures, and now we have gained a new perspective of them, they are not really considered evil anymore. I for one, know that no matter what a novel says, even if it has something that people say can have a negative religious impact, it is still that, a novel. No sane christian would idolize something like a vampire or a werewolf, they know that JESUS is the true EDWARD AND his blood is divine.. it's like the Chronicles of Narnia series, if u look at it's religious perspective, u understand that Aslan represents Jesus in another world, and Narnia is the earth, and Aslan's Country, Heaven....

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Advertising

FANGIRL WITH US HERE

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...