Are you a Christian?if so,did the fact that you are a Christian influence your interest in Twilight in any way,whether negatively or positively?how so?

Twilight allows Christians like myself to explore the subject of vampires without feeling like I've betrayed my faith because, first of all,they don't drink human blood--at least the Cullen family don't(which is really the only inherently evil thing about vampires because, in the bible, the Law of Moses clearly forbids the Jews from drinking human blood.However Jesus' blood is MORE than human,It is divine.) and,unlike vampires in most vampire stories,the Cullens make a real effort to redeem themselves.Vampires are not evil unless the person was evil before he or she was turned-Evil lies in the heart of the individual.The Cullens clearly prove that.vampires in other stories usually either embrace the fact that they are vampires or,if they don't, they don't do anything to make up for it.Even Louis in Interview with a Vampire,as much as he hated what he was, didn't even make any effort to redeem himself.Stephanie Meyer has created the type of vampire you can respect-with dignity, integrity and, above all,CONVICTION.Carlisle himself said in New Moon "By all accounts,we're damned,regardless.But,I hope,maybe foolishly,we get some measure of credit for trying."He also said "In the 400yrs since I've been born I have never seen anything that has made me doubt whether God exists in one form or another"This proves that Carlisle still has faith in God and that he and the Cullens still have a chance at redemption despite what they are-otherwise,he would just raise his family as other vampires-with no remorse or respect for human life.Also,considering the fact that Stephenie Meyer is Mormon(even though I dont agree with that particular form of Christianity),I think she intended for the vampire and the lust for blood to be a metaphor for the everyday temptations that we as human-beings face.And the Cullens not conforming to the vampire lifestyle of drinking human blood is a metaphor for Christians who don't conform to the rest of the world in order to follow a higher purpose.And,even though I am not a wolfpack fan,If you think about it,they are a metaphor for the gay and lesbian community who feel they didnt have a choice to be who they are(I myself believe eveyone has a choice,but then again,who am I to judge?.I firmly believe in "let he that has no sin cast the first stone"-I am certainly not without sin so I am not one to throw stones)You can see alot of Christian undertones in the Twilight story-including the Cullens belief in the exsistance and value of the soul.Thats why I am a twilight fan

Tags: Christian

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Christian supporters of the Twilight series point to the fact that several of the characters hold to Christian faith. Edward's father, Carlisle Cullen, was not only raised by a pastor, but was one himself. The book discusses how his faith actually made him rise above the nature of a vampire to become a doctor and save people. He strives to hold onto a little bit of humanity, and he passed that onto the members of his family.

The discussion of what happens after we die is a central theme to the books, though it is only discussed outright later in the series. While Carlisle believes that there is an afterlife, and that possibly vampires aren't damned, Edward is more skeptical. He believes that they will be punished for what they are, and he does not want that to happen to Bella. It is his questions that makes him confront Bella's cavalier attitude about losing her soul. The theme is an excellent discussion point for parents and teens who do read the books, because they can apply to the choices Christian teens make every day.

Pro-life Christians may also find the unwanted pregnancy in the series to be of great interest. While this pregnancy puts the life of a main character in grave danger, her decision is to keep the baby. For people who are pro-choice the discussion remains. The choice was given to the character to "take care of it," and she made the choice.

The desire of Bella to become a vampire is controversial, but the way it is handled appeases many Christians. The main characters of the novels were not "changed" by choice, but changed by circumstance. This theme is important to the Christian life, because we must know how to face our circumstances and hold onto our faith. The desire of Edward to not change Bella demonstrates to many Christians just how precious the soul is, and how he does not want to take away a viable human life. In Edward's case, he was going to die anyhow, and that is when Carlisle changed him. The Cullens value human life, and it is a lesson many people today can learn.

The debate about the sexual nature of the characters continues between opponents and proponents of the Twilight saga. While Edward is against sex before marriage, Bella is willing to hand over her virginity. Her fear of marriage stems from what many teens today face - the divorce of her parents and the effect it had on her mother.

yes she is.Which is why I think she put that in the book.I don't necessarily agree with alot of Mormon doctrine.However,they do have one thing in common with Christianity-and that is the exsistence and pricelessness of the human soul.And I respect everyones beliefs even if I don't agree with them.A relationship with God is a personal issue between that person and God.So,I am in no position to judge.Thank you  for commenting.God bless:-)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Advertising

FANGIRL WITH US HERE

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...