Are you a Christian?if so,did the fact that you are a Christian influence your interest in Twilight in any way,whether negatively or positively?how so?

Twilight allows Christians like myself to explore the subject of vampires without feeling like I've betrayed my faith because, first of all,they don't drink human blood--at least the Cullen family don't(which is really the only inherently evil thing about vampires because, in the bible, the Law of Moses clearly forbids the Jews from drinking human blood.However Jesus' blood is MORE than human,It is divine.) and,unlike vampires in most vampire stories,the Cullens make a real effort to redeem themselves.Vampires are not evil unless the person was evil before he or she was turned-Evil lies in the heart of the individual.The Cullens clearly prove that.vampires in other stories usually either embrace the fact that they are vampires or,if they don't, they don't do anything to make up for it.Even Louis in Interview with a Vampire,as much as he hated what he was, didn't even make any effort to redeem himself.Stephanie Meyer has created the type of vampire you can respect-with dignity, integrity and, above all,CONVICTION.Carlisle himself said in New Moon "By all accounts,we're damned,regardless.But,I hope,maybe foolishly,we get some measure of credit for trying."He also said "In the 400yrs since I've been born I have never seen anything that has made me doubt whether God exists in one form or another"This proves that Carlisle still has faith in God and that he and the Cullens still have a chance at redemption despite what they are-otherwise,he would just raise his family as other vampires-with no remorse or respect for human life.Also,considering the fact that Stephenie Meyer is Mormon(even though I dont agree with that particular form of Christianity),I think she intended for the vampire and the lust for blood to be a metaphor for the everyday temptations that we as human-beings face.And the Cullens not conforming to the vampire lifestyle of drinking human blood is a metaphor for Christians who don't conform to the rest of the world in order to follow a higher purpose.And,even though I am not a wolfpack fan,If you think about it,they are a metaphor for the gay and lesbian community who feel they didnt have a choice to be who they are(I myself believe eveyone has a choice,but then again,who am I to judge?.I firmly believe in "let he that has no sin cast the first stone"-I am certainly not without sin so I am not one to throw stones)You can see alot of Christian undertones in the Twilight story-including the Cullens belief in the exsistance and value of the soul.Thats why I am a twilight fan

Tags: Christian

Views: 212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Usually I don't go looking for Christianity or any other religious subplots or overtones in what I read. For that I can turn to Dan Brown or numerous other authors (and the Bible, of course). A lot of good fiction or fantasy dances around the edge of religion but never solidly wanders in. Which is just fine with me as I read for enjoyment or enlightenment. If I want religion, I'll go to church. Most in my family are religious with a sprinkling of ministers thrown in for good measure. With exception of a few, we don't wear it like a badge. As once written..."it's your mind and your heart that God desires and what you decide to do everyday, [that] will make you a good man, or not,"

On that basis, it would be my belief that Carlisle and family for the most part would be potential residents in Heaven if they were to die. With the exception of Bella, it is known that none of them sought out immortality. Carlisle and Esme should have the least to worry about in regards to entering Heaven. Edward, Emmett, Rose, and Jasper would have greater difficulty due to known past deeds. Alice is the least known quantity as far as past misdeeds. If God truly forgives, than all should be eligible for some type of redemption after their time in purgatory. However, Bella may be a different matter, since she intentionally sought out immortality. And while there is some mention of religion in her youth, she apparently now worships only Edward, who as we all know is no diety. She appears to be the most doomed in the religious context.

But as she states (in New Moon) as long as Edward stays with her, she wouldn't need Heaven.
Thank u for your imput Robert.And i totally agree--no one had a choice in the matter but her.But,I believe God's grace is sufficient for all.I think Steph meyers next installment of twilight should be about Bella and the cullens winning back their souls(if they have in fact lost them,as Edward believes) and then overthrowing the Volturi.I really wanna see that happen.Im not too excited for the whole series to be told over again through edwards eyes.Again,thank you for your input and whether you are religious or not--I believe God is about relationship,not religion.Religion is nothing but vain rituals and routines with out Jesus Christ.God bless

Shaun

robert sutton said:
Usually I don't go looking for Christianity or any other religious subplots or overtones in what I read. For that I can turn to Dan Brown or numerous other authors (and the Bible, of course). A lot of good fiction or fantasy dances around the edge of religion but never solidly wanders in. Which is just fine with me as I read for enjoyment or enlightenment. If I want religion, I'll go to church. Most in my family are religious with a sprinkling of ministers thrown in for good measure. With exception of a few, we don't wear it like a badge. As once written..."it's your mind and your heart that God desires and what you decide to do everyday, [that] will make you a good man, or not,"

On that basis, it would be my belief that Carlisle and family for the most part would be potential residents in Heaven if they were to die. With the exception of Bella, it is known that none of them sought out immortality. Carlisle and Esme should have the least to worry about in regards to entering Heaven. Edward, Emmett, Rose, and Jasper would have greater difficulty due to known past deeds. Alice is the least known quantity as far as past misdeeds. If God truly forgives, than all should be eligible for some type of redemption after their time in purgatory. However, Bella may be a different matter, since she intentionally sought out immortality. And while there is some mention of religion in her youth, she apparently now worships only Edward, who as we all know is no diety. She appears to be the most doomed in the religious context.

But as she states (in New Moon) as long as Edward stays with her, she wouldn't need Heaven.
By the way,you are more than welcomed to visit and join my site if ur interested--All that is required is that u are a Twilight fan and atleast have SOME faith in God.The tagline of the site is "Dedicated to the TRUE Edward whose blood gives eternal life-Jesus Christ"

robert sutton said:

It is a good way to feel like you're still within the lines of your faith.
I don't personally follow any group, but I do have faith in God.
As stated in Twilight the book, they have a cross in their household.
They originated from a priest. They have Catholic lines.
So, it pretty much doesn't have any evil ritual like things in it.
Oh my goodness. This is EXACTLY how I think of Twilight...that is so weird. I am so adding you!
Julia,I just have one thing to say to you.First of all,I thank u for your response.I dont think you have to be part of a particular church to be close to God,what ever religion u are--God is not about religion,He's about relationship.Without Jesus Christ,religion is nothing more than vain rituals and routines.I believe the Cullen's do still have a chance of salvation,Carlisle certainly believes it.All God asks of us is our faith and trust in Him and Carlisle has raised his family that way,despite Edward losing faith after time.But I believe they all still have a chance.I think the next installment of twilight should be about the cullens and bella winning back their souls(if they have in fact lost them as Edward believes) and after doing that,over throwing the volturi.Again thank u for ur response and God bless

Shaun

Julia Porter said:
It is a good way to feel like you're still within the lines of your faith.
I don't personally follow any group, but I do have faith in God.
As stated in Twilight the book, they have a cross in their household.
They originated from a priest. They have Catholic lines.
So, it pretty much doesn't have any evil ritual like things in it.
WOW! Lol This is exactly the reason I'm so in love with the Cullen family all together :D You and I think alike lol :D
Im a christian and I dont think I've ever really thought of twilight as having any christian morals. And I dont really think that twilight was ever meant to be seen as a christian movie. I think that if you look hard enough into anything you can find some sort of Biblical perspective ( I go to a christian school and often have to find a Biblical perspective in like everything!). I see where your coming from but I dont know if i agree completely, I think that if twilight was a movie where the Vampires drank blood or killed others than it wouldnt be the feel good love story between a human and a vampire that it is. It fits with the story.
Ali I didnt mean that Twilight is completely a Christian story,persay.I'm just saying that with the new morals and standards Carlisle sets for his family and other vampires,this allows Christians to enjoy this subject and not feel like,in doing so,they have betwayed all they have believed in.Because Carlisle is still a very faith-oriented person,after all,he was brought up in the church.Thats all I meant

Ali Mackintosh said:
Im a christian and I dont think I've ever really thought of twilight as having any christian morals. And I dont really think that twilight was ever meant to be seen as a christian movie. I think that if you look hard enough into anything you can find some sort of Biblical perspective ( I go to a christian school and often have to find a Biblical perspective in like everything!). I see where your coming from but I dont know if i agree completely, I think that if twilight was a movie where the Vampires drank blood or killed others than it wouldnt be the feel good love story between a human and a vampire that it is. It fits with the story.
That makes more sense I guess. :]

Twilight Trinity said:
Ali I didnt mean that Twilight is completely a Christian story,persay.I'm just saying that with the new morals and standards Carlisle sets for his family and other vampires,this allows Christians to enjoy this subject and not feel like,in doing so,they have betwayed all they have believed in.Because Carlisle is still a very faith-oriented person,after all,he was brought up in the church.Thats all I meant

Ali Mackintosh said:
until twilights,vampires were always looked at as "evil" even though they didnt want to be--like i said,Louis in interview with a vampire hated that he was a vampire,but he made very little effort to try and go against his vampire nature and to be better--twilight changed that

Ali Mackintosh said:
That makes more sense I guess. :]

Twilight Trinity said:

Ali Mackintosh said:
All stories,fiction or non fiction have a message,and i think twilight is one of the greatest one of those
Twilight Ton or ity said:

Ali Mackintosh said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Advertising

FANGIRL WITH US HERE

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...