Are you a Christian?if so,did the fact that you are a Christian influence your interest in Twilight in any way,whether negatively or positively?how so?

Twilight allows Christians like myself to explore the subject of vampires without feeling like I've betrayed my faith because, first of all,they don't drink human blood--at least the Cullen family don't(which is really the only inherently evil thing about vampires because, in the bible, the Law of Moses clearly forbids the Jews from drinking human blood.However Jesus' blood is MORE than human,It is divine.) and,unlike vampires in most vampire stories,the Cullens make a real effort to redeem themselves.Vampires are not evil unless the person was evil before he or she was turned-Evil lies in the heart of the individual.The Cullens clearly prove that.vampires in other stories usually either embrace the fact that they are vampires or,if they don't, they don't do anything to make up for it.Even Louis in Interview with a Vampire,as much as he hated what he was, didn't even make any effort to redeem himself.Stephanie Meyer has created the type of vampire you can respect-with dignity, integrity and, above all,CONVICTION.Carlisle himself said in New Moon "By all accounts,we're damned,regardless.But,I hope,maybe foolishly,we get some measure of credit for trying."He also said "In the 400yrs since I've been born I have never seen anything that has made me doubt whether God exists in one form or another"This proves that Carlisle still has faith in God and that he and the Cullens still have a chance at redemption despite what they are-otherwise,he would just raise his family as other vampires-with no remorse or respect for human life.Also,considering the fact that Stephenie Meyer is Mormon(even though I dont agree with that particular form of Christianity),I think she intended for the vampire and the lust for blood to be a metaphor for the everyday temptations that we as human-beings face.And the Cullens not conforming to the vampire lifestyle of drinking human blood is a metaphor for Christians who don't conform to the rest of the world in order to follow a higher purpose.And,even though I am not a wolfpack fan,If you think about it,they are a metaphor for the gay and lesbian community who feel they didnt have a choice to be who they are(I myself believe eveyone has a choice,but then again,who am I to judge?.I firmly believe in "let he that has no sin cast the first stone"-I am certainly not without sin so I am not one to throw stones)You can see alot of Christian undertones in the Twilight story-including the Cullens belief in the exsistance and value of the soul.Thats why I am a twilight fan

Tags: Christian

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Twilight no that does not affect us being friends. When your as old as me you learn to be friends with many peoples, of many varying faiths. You learn to let others "live and let live" as I call it.

That said yes I have heard of lillith but no I don't believe in her. Thats too much like the "gap" theory within theology for my liking.

You will find as you get to know me twilightgodfather, I am a very simple creature when it comes to God. I trust his word and thats it. I figure one cannot go wrong that way. ;)

About the OT, (Old Testament) I concurre there is a new covenant, but it does not supplant the old one. Christ fufilled the commandments, not did away with them. ;)

Yours,

D.
Thats good.Because D, I am trying desperately to understand your point of view but the more research I do, my first conclusion is confirmed--Vampires and Christianity are,in fact, contradictory terms.And the story of Lillith only confirms it even more.But I am glad we can both agree to disagree and move on with our friendship.I won't judge you,I'm sorry you initially took it that way.I respect how devoted you are to your way of life.It shows alot of integrity,and integrity is what I value most in a person--whether they are 30 or 300 lol.

Daidalos Falvius said:
Twilight no that does not affect us being friends. When your as old as me you learn to be friends with many peoples, of many varying faiths. You learn to let others "live and let live" as I call it.
That said yes I have heard of lillith but no I don't believe in her. Thats too much like the "gap" theory within theology for my liking.
You will find as you get to know me twilightgodfather, I am a very simple creature when it comes to God. I trust his word and thats it. I figure one cannot go wrong that way. ;)

About the OT, (Old Testament) I concurre there is a new covenant, but it does not supplant the old one. Christ fufilled the commandments, not did away with them. ;)

Yours,

D.
So true. We do also need to make sure that our kids understand that it's not real, too. But like I said, we can fall from anything, not just books, and at any age. And actually, people develop interests for these things from several sources. For example, I used to LOVE watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But my mom knew that I didn't obsess because of that aspect, I loved the witty humor and the romance. So I guess I have somewhat of an interest, but I know (or, I believe; whatever you want to call it) that vampires don't exist. Don't know what the draw is exactly, but it has never affected my faith. Just like Harry Potter. I understand that witchcraft is a sin, and I know that the world that J.K.R. created doesn't exist. If it did, wouldn't that change everything we know? Yes, it would. BUT, it DOESN'T exist, it's an alternate universe where magic is real and, like anything, can be used for good or evil-only in that world though. Not in real life. That's what we need to teach our kids. Anything can make us stumble, and people need to stop picking on fiction. I think it's the least of our worries with all the "sex" and "image" things that the media bombards us with everyday. Thanks for the feedback Twilight. :)

TwilightGodfatherTrinity said:
Thank you Amy.And I agree,it is just fiction.I just think that we,as Christians need to be cautious of what we expose ourselves to\.Even fiction(you said yourself that your interest in Twilight may be a big unhealthy,and some people really do take it to an unhealthy level).Because even fiction can open doors and allow the wrong spirits in.Which is what I think is so dangerous about harry potter,for example.Sure,us as adults understand that its not real.But it teaches the younger generation that witchcraft is cool,its harmless.When we,as adults,know that witchcraft is very real and if you become interested in it as a child,your fascination will grow so much as to wanting to dabble in REAL witchcraft.That's what I mean when I say even fiction can be dangerous,spiritually damaging.Twilight,I think,is safe though because,like I said,it sets morals,quidelines and respect for human life (and for God)that no other vampire story has ever bothered to have.
Exactly my Point:-)
Andrew'sAmy said:
So true. We do also need to make sure that our kids understand that it's not real, too. But like I said, we can fall from anything, not just books, and at any age. And actually, people develop interests for these things from several sources. For example, I used to LOVE watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But my mom knew that I didn't obsess because of that aspect, I loved the witty humor and the romance. So I guess I have somewhat of an interest, but I know (or, I believe; whatever you want to call it) that vampires don't exist. Don't know what the draw is exactly, but it has never affected my faith. Just like Harry Potter. I understand that witchcraft is a sin, and I know that the world that J.K.R. created doesn't exist. If it did, wouldn't that change everything we know? Yes, it would. BUT, it DOESN'T exist, it's an alternate universe where magic is real and, like anything, can be used for good or evil-only in that world though. Not in real life. That's what we need to teach our kids. Anything can make us stumble, and people need to stop picking on fiction. I think it's the least of our worries with all the "sex" and "image" things that the media bombards us with everyday. Thanks for the feedback Twilight. :)

TwilightGodfatherTrinity said:
Thank you Amy.And I agree,it is just fiction.I just think that we,as Christians need to be cautious of what we expose ourselves to\.Even fiction(you said yourself that your interest in Twilight may be a big unhealthy,and some people really do take it to an unhealthy level).Because even fiction can open doors and allow the wrong spirits in.Which is what I think is so dangerous about harry potter,for example.Sure,us as adults understand that its not real.But it teaches the younger generation that witchcraft is cool,its harmless.When we,as adults,know that witchcraft is very real and if you become interested in it as a child,your fascination will grow so much as to wanting to dabble in REAL witchcraft.That's what I mean when I say even fiction can be dangerous,spiritually damaging.Twilight,I think,is safe though because,like I said,it sets morals,quidelines and respect for human life (and for God)that no other vampire story has ever bothered to have.
Lillith is fiction, which is not found in the scripture. Just as vampires are right?
lol D.like I said before,you are entitled to your own beliefs.So whether I believe Vampires are fiction or not is Irrelavent

Daidalos Falvius said:
Lillith is fiction, which is not found in the scripture. Just as vampires are right?
So are you saying you believe the lillith story? Again I apologize for not being more clear too. I was simply saying that to my knowledge there is no biblical proof or information about the lillith figure. Of course it is entirely possible I missed it somewhere though. Which is what I was getting at, is there any biblical proof for her existence that you know of?
No there is no proof and no I don't believe in the Lilith stroy.Nor do I literally believe in the existance of Vampires.But,D,as I have said several times before,you are entitled to your own beliefs.As you pointed out,who am I to judge?Call me ignorant if you like.But I have never seen or heard anything about vampires that have made me believe they are anymore than fictional charactors.I don't want that to get in the way of our being friends,though.And,I don't want to push this issue.
Arabella says it all!! Lol, practiclly took the words outta my mouth :] What my thoughts are about being Christian (But I'm Catholic..tehee) and reading Twilight well....that basicly sums it all up.

Arabella Grace said:
I'm Christian, yes, and normally I don't read books about vampires because they are all pictured as soulless beasts that feed off humans w/o remorse or regret. At first, I actually didn't even want to read the Twilight saga, but after my friend practically forced the book in front of me(slightly exaggerating, but not really)I actually liked it and felt that it was a safe book for Christians like me. Unlike most vampire characters, the Cullens have learned to restrain their demonic cravings for blood and only drink from animals(thank God we're talking about Christians liking Twilight and not vegetarians or tree-huggers,lol).Even though they all suffer extreme torture at times when their want for human blood is strongest, they restrain themselves(Example:Edward saved Bella's life in book one.Only sucked out the venom, left her blood alone).Why?They don't want to be monsters!Stephanie Meyer depicts them with souls, with hearts that, while they may not beat, still have the capacity to feel. The Cullens themselves even believe in Him(you can tell, since they have a big wooden cross in their hallway and Carlisle's dad was a man of the church).So, not only do I love Twilight, but it is also a saga that makes me feel like I'm still a good, loyal Christian.
Catholic IS Christian--its one of the first branches of Christianity.Im Catholic.Thank you for your response.Thts exactly how i feel about twilight too.
AltheaIsabellaBlackxxx said:
Arabella says it all!! Lol, practiclly took the words outta my mouth :] What my thoughts are about being Christian (But I'm Catholic..tehee) and reading Twilight well....that basicly sums it all up.

Arabella Grace said:
I'm Christian, yes, and normally I don't read books about vampires because they are all pictured as soulless beasts that feed off humans w/o remorse or regret. At first, I actually didn't even want to read the Twilight saga, but after my friend practically forced the book in front of me(slightly exaggerating, but not really)I actually liked it and felt that it was a safe book for Christians like me. Unlike most vampire characters, the Cullens have learned to restrain their demonic cravings for blood and only drink from animals(thank God we're talking about Christians liking Twilight and not vegetarians or tree-huggers,lol).Even though they all suffer extreme torture at times when their want for human blood is strongest, they restrain themselves(Example:Edward saved Bella's life in book one.Only sucked out the venom, left her blood alone).Why?They don't want to be monsters!Stephanie Meyer depicts them with souls, with hearts that, while they may not beat, still have the capacity to feel. The Cullens themselves even believe in Him(you can tell, since they have a big wooden cross in their hallway and Carlisle's dad was a man of the church).So, not only do I love Twilight, but it is also a saga that makes me feel like I'm still a good, loyal Christian.
I'm a christian and I love vampire stories. In fact I love all kinds of paranormal stories. I don't think God minds. I think he's got more important things to think about than whether or not I read twilight. As long as I'm not setting it up my own golden calf. I think God is far more interested in how I treat my neighbor than whether or not I like stories with ghosts and ghoulies in them.
Well Lori.I just think we,asChristians need to be careful what we expose ourselves to.True,Twilight is just fiction,but even fiction canbe spiritually dangerous.Some things canopen a door,allowing the wrong spirits in.However,I think Twilight has made it safe for Christians to explore the subject of vampires without having to worry about that.It has alot of positive messages and even moral values that no other Vampire story has ever bothered to have.For example,it teaches abstinence before marriage,because Edward chose to wait until he and Bella were married before having sex.And it also teaches a great lesson about resisting temptation--Even though the Cullens are vampires,they have learned to resist their natural lust for human blood.We can relate that to our own human lusts and temptations.I think more Christians should be a little more open minded about Twilight because it is very different from any other sc-fi series.Many Christians put it right up there with Harry Potter,but Harry Potter is an entirely different subject and a far more dangerous one,spiritually.See,although we,as adults,know that it's just fantasy,it sends the wrong message to children.It tells them witchcraft is ok and "cool".And,it's true,the type of witchcraft in Harry Potter does not exist,but there is real witchcraft,and if children grow up thinking its harmless,they with begin getting curious about real witchcraft as they grow older.I have seen that happen.But like I said,Twilight is an entirely different subject.Thank you for your response.God bless-Shaun
Lori White said:
I'm a christian and I love vampire stories. In fact I love all kinds of paranormal stories. I don't think God minds. I think he's got more important things to think about than whether or not I read twilight. As long as I'm not setting it up my own golden calf. I think God is far more interested in how I treat my neighbor than whether or not I like stories with ghosts and ghoulies in them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Advertising

FANGIRL WITH US HERE

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...