I'm a very recent Twi-addict and I'm trying to rationalize my new obsession...  Pretend I'm a Twi-sceptic and you want to explain to me what affected you the most about the book, what was its emotional imprint on you.  Also, what makes you keep coming back to it?  

Views: 12

Replies to This Discussion

I just started the books in July and read them 4 times through including the extra books and online out takes before August was through. I have never been a fantasy or sci-fi reader, so I really never thought I would like Twilight. I'm really not a romance reader either!
I fell in love with their love story. It is very powerful and while some people think that Bella is too dependent on him, it seems obvious that the feeling is mutual. I love how he has to work so hard to keep himself in check and that he loves her so much that he is willing to do so. While it is hard to choose, Breaking Dawn might be my favorite because all of the pieces just fit together perfectly and I can envision them living for 1,000 years in their little cottage as a happy family.
It's hard to explain to others why I love it, but I do blush a lot when I talk about it.
Its funny, I think that's when my obsession began as well... My favorite book is Eclipse, probably because its the most emotionally complex book of the four. Bella has to decide between two people who are both very close to her who she should be with, and she goes through a process of self-discovery that culminates in the end. Its ironic, but despite the things that I've achieved in my life and so many horrendous things that I lived through, I don't think I've ever reached the level that she has. I still don't know what I am, and I am still imprisoned by what I should be. But I'm trying, with persistence that no one understands or sympathizes with, to give myself, at 33, the choices that I stole from myself 10 years ago.
People say that Bella is dependent, and that this story is anti-feminist. Its actually the opposite - the story tells us that we shouldn't settle for just anyone, that we should be with someone who is worthy of us.
Picked up the books in Sept of '08 - this because my 16 y.o. niece was reading Breaking Dawn, at the time, & I wondered what compelled her to be reading a vampire book. Anna is very reflective, so I didn't think she was into the gore of Bram Stoker's Dracula. Admittedly, my own association with vampire stories was very slight, limited to Count Dracula and Interview with a Vampire, neither of which had a happy thread to them.

It didn't take long for me, though, to fall in love with Stephenie's vampire world. I was also just beginning to watch HBO's True Blood and between the two of them [ I still favor Bill over Eric ... ], Stephenie's version of the supernatural world was more enticing and held my interest longer. As much as Edward would have us believe him to be a monster, he is hardly soulless, and I still can't see the Saga as anything more than an idyllic love story between two people with a very loving family supporting them.

It's hard for me to distinguish which character I like the best, but Edward tops them all. Carlisle certainly has set the stage and along with Esme and his wonderful "children", I can't see the Cullen family in anything but a favorable light.

But I digress -

Edward just touches my heart so ... he is protector, peacemaker, lover ... passionate, selfless, soulful and gentle. He is so closely aligned with Carlisle's leanings and nearly possessive of Jasper's gift. He is ... almost ... perfect - certainly for Bella, in any case.

And for the other side of that love triangle, I totally "get" Jacob as we followed him throughout his tormenting ordeal of adulation for Bella which then, blossomed into a very mature set of feelings for her. But fight as he does, his is the story of loss ... until ... Renesme, of course. That was a nice twist, Stephenie threw in there for Jake, for I could not be totally happy with the Saga if Jake's legacy was to forever prowl the woods pining away, for the rest of his life. True love lost is so devastatingly, unbearable.

As exciting as the first 3 books have been, Breaking Dawn is truly my favorite for here we get to experience more of each of the Cullens in their own words. I like it that Stephenie has given voice to others than just Bella and hope against hope that she finishes Midnight Sun for her Draft has only sustained the fire within that is Twilight. Edward does need to have his own voice ... she was just getting to the heart of that when she ... just ... stopped - and I don't for a minute think it had anything to do with a lost manuscript. If she never goes back to Edward, that would be a colossal shame. Her New Moon Extras and the Bree Tanner story are proof that there is much, much more to tell about the Cullens.

So, now I wait with bated breath for Nov 2011 for the 1st half of the Saga's completion. For me, that story holds the most excitement, though Bella realizing her true power of protection [in 2012] will be just as tantalizing. But I cannot wait for the Rosalie-Jacob Alliance in keeping Bella & the baby from harm while Edward struggles with what to do about the entity that threatens Bella's life. Though Rose & Jake's reasons for such ferocity may be totally opposite, and differing even further from Edward's, it will be sooo cool to see Rose facing down her family and protecting Bella and the baby.

Emotional Imprint ? For me, the Twilight Saga is everything glorious about family, love and protection of both. Fortunately, this storyline does not fall to heartache, as I suppose "real" life is apt to be - all of my main characters live to see another day. I am saddened, though, that Leah seems to be tormented the most, finding no real peace by the end of the Saga.

As for me trying to sway others to Twilight, I usually get a blank stare - I have had some small victories but nothing to brag about. Fortunately, I don't have to sell too hard, since there are others as rabid as I am out there - I just have to go look for them. LoL
Wow DaveK, you expressed all that is Twilight in such a thoughtful manner. I agree that the family aspect of the story is a big part of why I love it. It is hard to explain it to others, but that's ok. We understand!
Wow, thank you, guys. I've been feeling so "alone" in my Twilight appreciation until I just recently joined this website. Its nice to see I am not the only one who appreciates this story. Every time I re-read it or re-watch it I discover something new I like about it. It is true, Edward is the almost perfect man. The story has so many signs that Edward and Bella belong together. What I like is that he isn't just perfect, that he is absolutely perfect for her, they are so suited to be together. Neither one of them settled for an acceptable mate, they ended up with the exact person they should be with.
Jacob... Childish, hot-blooded, short-tempered, immature... Warm-hearted, fun, bursting with life and the joy of life. I would and always have been naturally drawn to the Jacobs. Maybe a person needs to meet enough Jacobs in life so that she is ready to finally find her Edward? I am not patient, and I am not temperate. And I would probably like cliff diving and motorcycle riding. I am more suited to be with someone as reckless as myself.

I am not sure that I liked the family ending of Breaking Dawn, probably because I see Bella as basically a 17 (or so?) year old kid, who just got married and had a baby. Why did she refuse to go to school? Why did she not do something interesting and monumental? Despite numerous UN conventions on changing the role of women in society she ended up a wife and a mother at 17, and she isn't even Saudi Arabian. Although, I do dream of her going to college, becoming something amazing like a doctor, doing the kind of humanitarian work that Carlisle did when he first turned Edward... After all, Renesmee will be a fully grown person in 7 years, and Bella has the advantage of not needing sleep or food.

Leah troubled me too. I wondered about how she called herself a genetic dead end, and then I wondered about how Jacob imprinted on a half vampire child. I believe that the reason why Leah did not imprint is because she is meant to imprint on someone outside the tribe. I keep thinking, if a vampire male can impregnate, would one not be able to impregnate Leah? Maybe that's her destiny? Especially if imprinting attaches you to the one who will produce the strongest wolf, would a half vampire half changling not produce one? I think Leah's destiny, if Stephanie would chose to give her one, would be the best of all of them.

DaveK, what you wrote was so beautiful, it warms my heart to see someone loving this story as much as I.
The epic love story touched my heart!!! The immortals! The whole Twilight Saga packet! This has given to my own life something special and it truly needs it!!! First i did see the Twilight movie, then i did begin to read the books (both in english and in finnish) and now i`ve read the books more than once. The story keeps me coming back to them......ì admit i`m hooked big time.
Tks - appreciate the kind words ... d.

Elise said:
Wow, thank you, guys. I've been feeling so "alone" in my Twilight appreciation until I just recently joined this website. Its nice to see I am not the only one who appreciates this story. Every time I re-read it or re-watch it I discover something new I like about it. It is true, Edward is the almost perfect man. The story has so many signs that Edward and Bella belong together. What I like is that he isn't just perfect, that he is absolutely perfect for her, they are so suited to be together. Neither one of them settled for an acceptable mate, they ended up with the exact person they should be with.
Jacob... Childish, hot-blooded, short-tempered, immature... Warm-hearted, fun, bursting with life and the joy of life. I would and always have been naturally drawn to the Jacobs. Maybe a person needs to meet enough Jacobs in life so that she is ready to finally find her Edward? I am not patient, and I am not temperate. And I would probably like cliff diving and motorcycle riding. I am more suited to be with someone as reckless as myself.

I am not sure that I liked the family ending of Breaking Dawn, probably because I see Bella as basically a 17 (or so?) year old kid, who just got married and had a baby. Why did she refuse to go to school? Why did she not do something interesting and monumental? Despite numerous UN conventions on changing the role of women in society she ended up a wife and a mother at 17, and she isn't even Saudi Arabian. Although, I do dream of her going to college, becoming something amazing like a doctor, doing the kind of humanitarian work that Carlisle did when he first turned Edward... After all, Renesmee will be a fully grown person in 7 years, and Bella has the advantage of not needing sleep or food.

Leah troubled me too. I wondered about how she called herself a genetic dead end, and then I wondered about how Jacob imprinted on a half vampire child. I believe that the reason why Leah did not imprint is because she is meant to imprint on someone outside the tribe. I keep thinking, if a vampire male can impregnate, would one not be able to impregnate Leah? Maybe that's her destiny? Especially if imprinting attaches you to the one who will produce the strongest wolf, would a half vampire half changling not produce one? I think Leah's destiny, if Stephanie would chose to give her one, would be the best of all of them.

DaveK, what you wrote was so beautiful, it warms my heart to see someone loving this story as much as I.

RSS

Advertising

FANGIRL WITH US HERE

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...