What are your thoughts on considering Cullenism as a religion?

In all seriousness, if Cullenism were to be a real religion, how do you think it would affect the Twilight community?

Views: 436

Replies to This Discussion

if you think about it people worship football like a religion by going to games every week, chant for who they support and dress in team colours. which are all variations of qualities found in many different religions. therefore i think it could be almost seen as a religion because lets face it when many of us reread the books, go onto sites such as fanfiction it kinda like you're worshipping the book.

xx
Idk, but I'd love to see a bible for it......I am working on making a vampire's bible.
No. No. No. No. Religion is not a joke. Not ever. If you think you can be a Cullenist or whatever and a Christian at the same time, you are dead wrong. "No man can serve two masters. He cannot give his heart to two services at the same time. He cannot follow two callings successfully." (Matthew 6:24)

I hate Twilight, but I don't bash fans. Until something like this pops up. You can't be serious. Taking a book that was written, a drama, a teen romance novel, and turning it into a religion? That's ludicrous. As an avid Ayn Rand fan, I could go as far as to say Objectivism should be a religion because of the lessons it teaches. The thing is, I know better. Objectivism is a political platform. Not a religion. The way the book is written, however, would make it a much more viable candidate to be considered a religion. But it's not. To the person who compared Twilight to football fans. Great comparison. I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for proving MY point. Twilight fans are almost exactly like football fans. You said it yourself. You won't find a soul in the country, or even the world, that will say football should be a religion. Let me go into detail:

"if you think about it people worship football like a religion by going to games every week, chant for who they support and dress in team colours. which are all variations of qualities found in many different religions."

Yeah, sure, minus the fact that they don't pray to the football gods, expect being loyal to their teams will grant them the right to go to heaven, or follow a set of rules and guidelines to make sure they get to football heaven.

"therefore i think it could be almost seen as a religion because lets face it when many of us reread the books, go onto sites such as fanfiction it kinda like you're worshipping the book."

You know what other books people re-read? Books like Fight Club. Lord of the Rings. A Clockwork Orange. Choke. People worship these books. Where are THOSE religions?

Just because you read a book/see a movie and become obsessed, and thousands of others feel the same way, does NOT mean it should be a religion. It may teach some valuable lessons, but so do so many other books.

I'm not religious, and this discussion offended me. Think about that.

Also, this is a FICTION novel. Fake. A novel that was MADE UP. Everyone has different views so you may not agree, but the people that follow Christianity/Judaism/Muslim and so on, believe their books of worship are non-fiction. There you go. That's the biggie right there. This book is fiction, people that believe in the bible believe the bible is non-fiction. I'm sure this will get deleted(if anyone even wastes their time on this site anymore, it's been years since anyone's commented) but hopefully those of you who read this get a little bit of sense beaten back into them.

I'm sad that this conversation died out after a few highly negative comments. I believe that we Cullenists are in a a formative phase and there is a lot to think about. Many questions are unanswered. I hope that we can resurrect this conversation and not worry about Jameses (people bringing destructive energy).

I'd like to restart this conversation by looking into the question of whether the Twilight series is "fact" or "fiction." Let's start with an easy analogy. If I say, "twifans.com is a website" is that fact or fiction? You might say it is an obvious fact, but upon deeper reflection, you can see there are elements of fiction as well. Twifans.com is not just "a website" because it couldn't exist without the online community that populates it. It is at least made up of the website and the online community. Taking this a little farther, we can also see that the site couldn't exist without the novels. To say, "twifans.com is a website" is to claim that it is only a website and carries the meaning that it could exist without its online community and novels. We begin to see that this seemingly innocuous sentence has some fact and some fiction. If we try to amend this sentence to be entirely fact without any fiction, we can see that it is not easy. If I now say, "twifans.com is made up of a website, online community, novels and much more" we can still find fictions there. The words "website, online community, novels" each carry the meaning a solidly existing entity -- something real. However, if we look just a little deeper into any of them, we can't find such an entity. What is a "website?" In reality it is a process made up of many people's ongoing work, millions of bytes of information that exist as electrons flying around the planet, and your own interpretation of that information. So even this idea of "website" as something that carries the meaning of a solid existing entity has some fiction to it. 

Modern neuroscience has ended the possibility of an idea that is all fact and no fiction. It has shown that the brain can only create representations of the world (ideas) based on it's very limited previous experience. Every experience you have wires you brain in a certain way. Your ideas about the world are filtered through these previous experiences so that they can never be perfect representations of reality. There is always some fact and some fiction. Even the experience of a psychotic hallucination has been shown to be based in some fact -- usually it is the expression of real emotions caused by real traumas but experienced metaphorically. 

What I am saying is that every person who believes their own world view is based entirely in fact and contains no fiction is unreflective and ill-informed. We all live in partial fictions that are based in reality. Christians do; as do science-loving atheists; as do Cullenists. I consider myself a science-loving Cullenist who understands that everyone's worldview is largely fiction. The questions is whether you realize that and whether your fiction helps you to be kind and loving. 

RSS

Advertising

FANGIRL WITH US HERE

© 2014    

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...