Stephenie Meyer has been accused of plagiarizing one of her best-selling tomes.
Self-described writer-singer Jordan Scott has sent a cease-and-desist letter to the Twilight mastermind, accusing Meyer of blatantly ripping off Scott's vampire love trilogy, The Nocturne—parts of which she posted online back in 2003 and which therefore, she claims, were readily available for Meyer to swindle.
"The claim that Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer somehow infringes on an alleged book by someone named Jordan Scott is completely without merit," Meyer's publisher, Hachette Book Group, said in a statement.
"Neither Stephenie Meyer nor her representatives had any knowledge of this writer or her supposed book prior to this claim...The world of the Twilight Saga and the stories within it are entirely the creation of Ms. Meyer.
"Her books have been a phenomenal sensation, and perhaps it shouldn't be surprising to hear that other people may seek to ride the coattails of such success. This claim is frivolous and any lawsuit will be defended vigorously."
So what are these allegedly indefensible—not to mention, per Scott's lawyer, "striking and substantial"—literary similarities?
Well, for starters, one of the characters in Breaking Dawn refers to another character as "love." Multiple times.
And wouldn't you just know the same pet name is strewn about The Nocturne? Talk about being caught red-handed.
Of course that's not all, according to the 21-year-old Scott, who was 15 when she began publishing her work online. (Though, devil's advocate, had Meyer plagiarized from a 15-year-old, it might explain some of those peer criticisms...)
If you haven't yet read Breaking Dawn and life as you know it will be ruined by the mere mention of a SPOILER ALERT, well, you should probably learn to read a little faster. And avoid looking any further down the page.
Scott's letter alleges that Meyer "misappropriated both the ideas and in many instances the text" from The Nocturne, counting out 17 grievances in all.
The following are the EXTREMELY SPOILERIFIC scenes from Breaking Dawn Scott claims Meyer lifted (Warning: This is your last chance to stop reading):
• Edward and Bella's wedding
• Edward and Bella's beach consummation
• Edward and Bella's postcoital bliss
• Bella's nightmare
• Jacob discovering Bella's pregnancy
• Bella falling sick due to her carrying a child with evil powers
• Jacob's description of Bella's pregnancy
• Bella "sensing" her unborn child is a boy
• Jacob watching Edward and Bella discuss their unborn child
• Bella's gruesome delivery scene
• Jacob describing Bella's death
• Attempts at resuscitating Bella
• Bella seeing her newborn daughter for the first time
• Bella being turned into a vampire
• Bella talking about the loss of memories from her human life
• Renesmee's ability to project memories onto other people
What say you, Twihards? Did Meyer pinch Scott's work? Is it a coincidence, or is Scott just full of it? Take a gander at the accusations and judge for yourselves.
(I don't think Stephenie Meyer would rip off someone's work.. I think Jordan Scott just want some of the fame and seccess Stephenie Meyer and Twilight is getting.. tell me if you agree with me or not :)