Edward Cullen was 17 he died in 1918. Needless to say 1920's fashion from when Edward was an early vampire has influenced his 'Breaking Dawn' wedding attire. Edward Cullen is wearing the traditional 1920's Morning dress.
What is morning dress? According to Wikipedia:
Men wear morning dress when members of a wedding party. In common with court dress, mess dress, and white tie, morning dress is for prestigious and important social occasions. Despite its name, morning dress may be worn to afternoon social events before five o'clock, but not to events beginning after seven o'clock in the evening; the term "morning" is best understood as "daylight".
White tie (evening dress) is the correct, equivalent formal dress for evening social events. The cutaway front of the morning tail coat differs from the evening tail coat (dress coat) in that the waist of former is cut obliquely while the waist of the latter is cut horizontally, and the tail is cut differently from the swallow tailcoat used for evening dress. The skirt waist construction of the coats is equestrian in origin, to ease the wearer's riding his horse. In the U.S., the morning coat is sometimes referred to as a cutaway coat.
Here are some examples of real 1920's morning dress.
More on what exactly morning dress consists of:
- a morning dress coat (the morning cut of tailcoat), now always single breasted with one button (or very rarely two) and with peaked lapels
- a waistcoat, usually dove grey (sometimes buff, or at a funeral black), which may be either single-breasted or double-breasted with lapels and optional detachable white slips
- a pair of formal striped or checked trousers worn with braces
- a formal shirt;
- either a turndown collar is worn (white detachable, fastened by collar studs; or attached) with a tie, in which case the shirt has double cuffs;
- otherwise, a high detachable wing collar is worn with a single-cuffed shirt; this combination is always accompanied now by a formal Ascot, as opposed to a day cravat which is different. This is a more formal option most commonly seen at weddings;
- a plain or patterned silk handkerchief or pocket square may be worn; it is folded and inserted into the front breast pocket of the morning coat
- black Oxford shoes or dress boots, or boots with a horse riding connection, such as George or Chelsea boot, or galosh-top dress boots; worn with plain dark socks (or another colour if they can't been seen)
The following can optionally be worn or carried with morning dress:
- a top hat, either classic silk plush, or a modern Melusine fur (replacement for silk plush, as is it no longer in mainstream manufacture). Alternatively, a top hat made of fur felt or wool felt, is another common option.
- gloves of suede, chamois, or kid leather; the most traditional colour is lemon or grey
- grey or white spats
- a cane or umbrella
- a pocket watch or wrist watch
- a boutonnière
THANKS TO DrivesLikeACullen FOR THE INFO ABOUT MORNING DRESS!