Want to make an exact copy of Bella's cake?
Sure, there was some movie magic involved (the actual "cake" was fake), but the striped icing effect was the edible creation of confectioner Thomas Haas, owner of Thomas Haas Fine Chocolates
in Vancouver. Haas' wife Lisa walked us
through the how-tos of recreating the confection:
1. Cover each cake tier with a "mask" of white fondant
[a thick, malleable icing]. Stack tiers from largest to smallest.
2. Separate one package of fondant into 5 batches. Use food coloring to tint each batch a different shade of green.
3. Roll each batch of fondant into a thin sheet and cut into strips of varying width.
4. Attach the strips around each tier using stiff royal icing as glue.
5. Place red, yellow and green Gerbera daisies around the bottom of each tier.