Last week, before Gina McIntyre had her behind-the-scenes round-up with The Twilight Saga: New Moon director Chris Weitz, we talked about whether Muse would be making a repeat appearance on the second soundtrack from the Twilight series.
Fans of Muse that do not also happen to be Twilight series fans were not pleased.
Here are a couple of comments that were left on the article:
* "From an Atheist's point of view, for me to be praying to 'god' for Muse to not be on the next stupid Twilight soundtrack, that's pretty serious."
* "i'm sick of muses epicness being tainted by the lameness that is twilight"
* "I don't want to have to fight pre-teen girls for tickets to a live show"
* "really? seriously people, LEAVE MUSE ALONE!! the are not 'the twilight band' they are MUSE and they are better than twilight. I'm sick of all these people saying that they are muse fans when the only song they know is SMBH."
* "many fans hope and expect that their music will make a return visit to the twilight music?, who are those fans, really?"
* "Most Muse fans HATE the fact that they have been thrown into the whole Twilight mess... seeing as it brought on a plague of people who only appreciate it because it was in a crappy movie adaptation of a stupid book. If Muse is in New Moon i will cry."
You get the idea. There were two basic principles echoed in the commentary. The first was a distaste for the novels; fair enough. The second was a large presumption based on a small set of experiences; not so fair, perhaps.
Some of us who happen to be Twilight fans actually liked Muse way back when. My own experience was that I bought Absolution on a whim, loved it, and played the entire album again and again and again any time I was in a bad way (the converse is true for Elliott Smith's XO). Perhaps it is the minority circumstance to have had an appreciation for Muse's work before it became involved in the Twilight series, but perhaps it is not.
In any case, New Moon's director Chris Weitz, told the L.A. Times
recently that the soundtrack will indeed have Muse as one of its feature artists (alongside Radiohead and Band of Skulls).
So, to turn back to the original question in the prior article - which Muse song would be appropriate for the New Moon album? Thoughts?